اَعُوْذُ بِاللهِ مِنَ الشَّيْطَانِ الرَّجِيْمِ
بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمن الرَّحِيْمِ
Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaathu everyone!
With Ramadan literally less than a week away (soooo excited!) I have been pre-preparing a lot of starters that can be frozen. It makes it easier for iftar, so we don’t concentrate too much on our food and spend more time reading Quran and doing dua at iftar time. This is another one of those recipes. You can freeze these pasties for up to a month.
I love these chicken keema pasties because they are the perfect comfort food. The spiced filling with the flaky pastry is the perfect combination alongside a warm cup of tea. I LOVE all types of fillings in my pasty recipe. I feel kind of sad because I recently found out that Aldi puff pastry has alcohol in it, so I had to stop using it. Thanks to my sister’s friend’s mum who told me! I did some more research and as far as I know Sainsbury’s and Tesco branded ready rolled puff pastry has no alcohol in it, so it is suitable for the halal diet.
This recipe makes enough filling for 2 ready rolled puff pastry sheets if you use 1½ tablespoon in each pastry like I do. The cheese is an optional ingredient, and you can skip it out if you’re not much of a cheese fan, but puff pastry and cheese is always a must with me. You can use lamb mince instead of chicken mince, but lamb takes a bit longer to cook, so bear that in mind with the timings.
Try these spiced chicken keema pasties for the perfect comfort food.
Chicken Keema Pasties
Chicken keema pasties are delicious and the perfect comfort food. This spiced chicken pastry has a crispy, flaky puff pastry with a cheesy chicken mince filling. A pastry recipe that is sure to impress everyone. These spicy chicken puff pastry puffs are a delicious and easy appetiser. Delicious served with salad for fuss-free quick meal. There is nothing quite like a classic comfort food like a good, old fashioned mini chicken pie in the form of a chicken pastry.
- 600g Chicken Mince/Keema
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 2 Onions (finely diced)
- 4 Garlic Cloves (chopped)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 Green Chillies/Hari Mirch (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp Chilli Flakes
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder/Haldi
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- Coriander/Dhaniyaa (finely chopped)
- 100g Cheddar Cheese
- In a frying pan, heat up the vegetable oil
- Add the finely diced onions, chopped garlic cloves and salt
- Cook on medium heat foe 3-4 minutes until softened
- Add the chicken mince and finely chopped green chillies
- Cook the chicken mince on medium heat until the mince changes colour
- Reduce heat to low then cover and cook for 15 minutes – if lamb mince is used it may take longer
- Add the turmeric powder, chilli flakes and garam masala
- Cook the spices on medium heat for 6-8 minutes
- Add the finely chopped coriander and cook for a further 1-2 minutes
- Turn off the heat and add the cheddar cheese
- Mix until the cheese has melted
- Set the mixture aside to cool down
- Cut the puff pastry sheets into 8 equal parts and then add 1½ tablespoons of mixture into each
- Fold and use a fork to create indents to help seal the edges
- Brush the top with the whisked egg and place on baking tray
- Bake at the top of preheated oven at 200°C/400°F/gas mark 6 for 25 minutes and flip over halfway
- Your chicken keema pasties are ready!