اَعُوْذُ بِاللهِ مِنَ الشَّيْطَانِ الرَّجِيْمِ
بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمن الرَّحِيْمِ
Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaathu everyone!
Chicken curry is a regular curry that is made on a weekly basis in the family household. We always have this chicken curry recipe with rice or chapatti. There are so many curry chicken masala recipes out there that who knows what the authentic recipe is. This is a traditional chicken masala recipe that is quite watery, which is how I like it when I serve it alongside rice. This makes it a good match for rice as the rice absorbs the gravy of the chicken making it taste amazing.
I have several other chicken curry recipes on this blog such as chicken karahi and chicken jalfrezi, so be sure to check them out as well! This chicken curry is the one we most commonly make in our household as my mum and dad love watery curries as opposed to more saucy curries which my siblings and I prefer.
I have mentioned my mum’s spice blend in my aloo keema recipe. Basically, what it is my mum mixes multiple spices such as chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and cumin powder to create an all-in-one spice blend. I usually do use my mum’s masala mix in this recipe, but it is essentially the same thing. One day I will have to watch my mum make it, so I know for future reference. My mum never seems to make it when I am there.
This easy chicken curry recipe is packed full of spices and flavour.
This easy chicken curry recipe is packed full of spices and flavour. With this curry chicken recipe, you will never have to worry about what to make for your family dinners. A chicken masala curry that will pair perfectly with garlic naan or boiled basmati rice.
- 50ml Vegetable Oil
- 1kg Chicken
- 2 Onions/Pyaz (finely diced)
- 3 Tomatoes (chopped)
- 10 Garlic Cloves/Lehsan
- 1-inch Ginger/Adrak (crushed)
- 2 tsp. Salt/Namak
- 2 tsp. Turmeric Powder/Haldi
- 1 tsp. Chilli Powder/Laal Mirch Powder
- 1 tsp. Cumin Powder/Jeera Powder
- 1 tsp. Coriander Powder/Dhaniyaa Powder
- 1 tsp. Dried Fenugreek Seeds/Methi
- 2 Green Chillies (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp. Tomato Puree
- 500ml Warm Water
- 1 tbsp. Cumin Seeds/Jeera (crushed)
- In a large pan heat up the vegetable oil
- Add the finely diced onions, garlic cloves and crushed garlic
- Cook for 5-10 minutes on medium heat until softened
- Add the chopped tomatoes
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes until softened
- Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and fenugreek seeds
- Allow the spices to cook for 10-15 minutes – add a little water to prevent the spices from burning
- Add the finely chopped green chillies, coriander and tomato puree
- Cook for a few minutes and then add the chicken
- Cover with a lid and cook for 20 minutes
- Add the warm water and allow it to come a slow simmer
- Add the crushed cumin seeds and mix
- Cook for 5-10 minutes until the gravy thickens to your preference
- Your chicken curry is ready!